Technical Standards Committee
We are on the look-out for thought-leaders and experts in food safety and hygiene standards, and allergen management processes within the hospitality sector.
If you are a passionate food safety professional who is highly experienced in food safety, hygiene, allergen management in the hospitality sector and would like to be involved with Safe to Trade, we’d love to speak to you.
What is it?
Safe to Trade is an initiative to improve food safety for consumers and champion food safety for the whole hospitality industry. Its aim is to be the first voluntary food safety assurance programme designed specifically for the hospitality industry. Setting a standard in food safety and hygiene. The programme is independently and impartially assessed, governed to the highest level, and rigorously aligned to the latest food safety and hygiene regulations.
The Technical Standards Committee (TSC) is responsible for the Food Safety Standard of Safe to Trade. Led by industry leaders and experts in the application of food safety and hygiene standards and allergen management processes within the hospitality sector, the TSC ensures that the programme remains consistent with legislative requirements in food safety and hygiene, and drives continuous improvement. The Technical Standards Committee consists of a minimum of 6 individuals including the Chair. As the focus of the Safe to Trade programme is on food safety and hygiene, it is essential that all committee members are experts in food safety and hygiene (including allergens and food standards) and how these are applied to the hospitality sector.
We are looking for representation from government and local authority (experts in the development and enforcement of food safety and hygiene regulations) and the food industry (experts in food safety and hygiene across hospitality, catering and retail) to join the Technical Standards Committee for Safe to Trade.
As a member of the Technical Standards Committee for the Safe to Trade programme, responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance of all aspects of the technical content of the Standard. The food hygiene, safety and standards aspects are to be agreed in conjunction with the Primary Authority.
- Review changes to the Standard to ensure all legislative food safety and hygiene regulatory requirements are met.
- Horizon scanning of the legislative environment, food industry and external guides to identify factors relevant to the evolution of the Standard.
- Review opportunities identified by Inspection Bodies to enhance the Standard.
- Approval of updates to the Standard.
- Contribute to the continual development and improvement of the Standard using evidence-based recommendations.
- Interpretation of programme data to determine how the industry and regulator can derive value from data collected within the programme.
- Review Safe to Trade complaints that are escalated to the Technical Standards Committee.
- Review Safe to Trade audit set changes that impact Standard Requirements.
There will be at least four meetings of the TSC scheduled each year (either in-person or virtual) and it is a requirement that each member attends at least 75% of these meetings. Wherever possible decisions are made on a consensus basis by all members.
Note: This is a voluntary position where travel expenses and approved activities will be reimbursed.
Ready to shape the future of Safe to Trade
If you wish to be a part of this, or have an enquiry about the opportunity, please use the application form below to arrange a confidential discussion with our Recruitment Team.
Apply to be a part of the Technical Standards Committee
To apply for the Technical Standards Committee, please complete and submit the form below.